- You will be taken to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU). This is also known as the recovery room. The amount of time you stay in PACU will depend on your individual needs. For children, one parent will be allowed to stay in the recovery room if needed.
- Unless you are being admitted to the hospital, your IV will be removed and you will go to the "discharge area". There, one person will be allowed to join you again. You will be given postoperative instructions and prescriptions your doctor may have left.
- POST ANESTHESIA: If you are qiven anesthesia or sedation, you must have someone drive you home. You will not be permitted to leave alone. For the same reasons, you must not drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours after your surgery. You should also plan not to make important decisions, sign important papers or care for small children for 24 hours. You should not drink alcoholic beverages until 24 hours after the anesthesia was given, or while taking pain medications.
- You will receive a phone call from one of our nurses a few days after your surgery. We like to check on our patients after they are discharged and sent home to see how they are doing. You should call your surgeon's office for any questions you may have.
- IN-PATIENT ADMISSION: If your doctor feels that you should remain overnight (or for several days), you will be transferred from the PACU to a private room. Registered Nurses will care for you around the clock. Special arrangements can be made if you wish to have someone stay with you overnight. Visiting hours are from 8 am until 8 pm, but if for some reason these hours need to be changed, check with your nurse.
- When your doctor feels you are ready to be discharged, the nurse will give you any prescriptions and instructions about diet, exercise, bathing, etc. You will need to arrange for someone to drive you home.
We appreciate the trust you have placed in us, and we will honor that trust by providing the highest quality of medical care. We want your visit to be as pleasant as possible and welcome any comments or suggestions you may have. Should you have any further questions, please contact us, 405-634-9300.